Brunch with Rev. Mark Adams
Rev. Mark Adams of Frontera de Cristo was guest pastor for MSPC on Sunday, Dec. 1st. After the service, several members attended a brunch at the home of the Raffety's to enjoy the fellowship of good food and further conversation with Rev. Mark. Click here to enjoy some photos of the event.
Habitat for Humanity
We are on the calendar for another "Brush with Kindness" work day with Tucson Habitat for Humanity on Tuesday October 29th. YOU and the whole church are invited to participate ! (essentially MSPC will be the team for the day) Basically, we work with a homeowner and their neighbors to spruce up the exterior of their older home - you can paint feet firmly planted on the ground... or opt to climb a bit to do repairs and paint trim. Ample rest periods and lunch provided.
So....Please get this date on your calendar and plan to join the MSPC team! And...kindly talk it up!
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY "Brush with Kindness" Work Day is Tuesday October 29th.
To see all the MSPC workers and what they did, click here!
Mountain Shadows Presbyterian Church is a small church with a big heart. We take our commitment to care for community and our world seriously. The Mission & Outreach Ministry exists to encourage, assist and educate the members of the congregation carry out its discipleship with Christ in “loving our neighbors as ourselves." The ministry attempts to balance our local, regional and global mission efforts, keeping in mind the priorities of Presbytery de Cristo and the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church USA. We continually strive to meet the needs of others in a spirit of love and respect that honors the dignity of all peoples.
In local mission we support the following nonprofit organizations through an annual financial pledge:
- Presbyterian Campus Ministry offers Christian fellowship to the students attending the University of Arizona and Pima Community College.
- Interfaith Community Services provides multiple services and are often the "safety net" that help people remain or become stabilized, enabling them to lead independent lives. We are providing services for thousands of people in need.
- Papago Presbyterian Church is a church located in Sells Arizona on the Tohono O’odham Reservation and we have established a relationship of caring and respect between our congregations.
- Middle Eastern Presbyterian Fellowship is in the process of developing into a full-fledged church and a member of Presbytery de Cristo. It ministers to Christian refugees from the Middle East.
- The House of Neighborly Service has for over 60 years provided programs and services to the neighborhood and the City of South Tucson. They continue to provide programs and activities to enhance the physical, spiritual and educational growth of people in our neighborhood. Our three main focus areas are: Spiritual Development, Family Life, and Healthy Living.
We are committed to assisting our brothers and sisters along the Arizona-Mexico border develop business opportunities, allowing many families to remain in their home towns reducing the need for them to illegally migrant into the USA. We carry out this commitment through an annual financial pledge to Frontera de Cristo. Frontera de Cristo is a border ministry of the Presbyterian Church (USA). As part of our efforts, twice a month Just Coffee is available for purchase at Mountain Shadows Presbyterian Church. So what is this endeavor all about? First of all the Just Coffee (Café Justo) Cooperative is a successful grower-owned entrepreneurial, international coffee business in Salvador Urbina, Chiapas and Agua Prieta, Mexico. This Cooperative is assisted by the Just Trade Center functioning under the auspices of Frontera de Cristo. The Just Trade Center recently established a ministry team composed of committed people who have been asked to engage in critical thinking related to expansion of the Center’s scope of work. Mountain Shadows is represented on the ministry team.
Local Ministry Activities
- Food collections on the first Sunday of each month are donated Catalina Community Services, Tri-Community Food Bank and Interfaith Community Services.
- Each year the congregation prepares Thanksgiving food baskets that are then donated to Catalina Community Services for distribution.
- Each year will participate in the Adopt-A-Family program providing food and gifts for families at Christmas.
- We have annual fundraisers in order to be able to provide additional assistance to community agencies.
- We make every effort to come to the aid of the community in times of crisis.